As I’ve said before, I’m not big on New Years resolutions. Maybe I just don’t like the term “resolution.” It seems that resolutions are always vague and a little harsh. You know, like “i want to be healthy” but then you eat a hamburger and fries and you hadn’t really defined what “healthy” means to you but then you beat yourself up because you ate the fries and just give up so then you’re no longer, for the rest of the year, trying to be healthy!
Anyway, it just seems to me that specific goals are better and i do agree there’s no better time to reevaluate all aspects of your world than at the beginning of the year. New Years day is an easy reminder for all of us to take a moment to think about what we want for the upcoming year.
I had to laugh as i read over my goals for 2011 (posted here: https://starrunnersmemphis.com/2010/12/28/2011-here-we-come/) . I didn’t do the best job keeping up with all of it but I figure I did better than if they hadn’t been goals at all. The 2 i’m most irritated that I didn’t do are: read a book a month that doesn’t really feel like work and practice yoga at least once a week.
Unfortunately I only managed to read 2 or 3 books all year that aren’t about running or nutrition (not that i don’t love these types of books but sometimes i feel like i never stop working!). I’m really going to do better this year. I love to read and I owe it to myself to have some down time and enjoy a good novel. I did more yoga in 2011 than i did in 2010 but still not enough!
So, what are my goals for 2012?
* Become a better advocate for my own healthcare: With my recent health scare, I am reminded that I cannot be timid and passive when it comes to my own health. I hate to be a thorn in my cardiologists side (see, the passive part of me) but I cannot allow myself to sit around and wait on answers to come to me.
* Yoga / Pilates: I’m throwing this one out there again this year but adding in pilates. My goal is to do one of these at least once a week. I know how much better i feel when i do so I’m going to work really hard to meet this goal!
* Read a book a month: I’m adding this one again. I think it’s a great goal for me to have. I love to read and sometimes sitting down to read a book feels gluttonous but I figure a little gluttony might not be bad 🙂
* Take better care of my legs: Rather than waiting until I’m in pain or injured, my goal is to roll my IT band and stretch every day so i can hopefully prevent the injuries and pain! How ’bout that for practicing what i preach 😉
* Eat more fruits and veggies: I know this sounds kind of vague. I plan to eat some sort of fruit or veggie every day. This might not sound that hard for most of you but I have plenty of days where i don’t see a fruit or veggie- not that i’m eating bad but so much of my daily intake consists of almonds, granola, peanut butter, etc. so i need to make a conscious effort to get fruits and veggies!
So, this is what i’ve come up with so far. It’s certainly not anything earth shattering but it works for me. I tend to live a pretty healthy and happy lifestyle and there’s not much I can think that I want to change but I figure I can always do something to better my world.
I’m on track so far- I have another cardiologist appointment this week, I have a pilates date with Susan this week, I started reading a new book yesterday, I am getting on the foam roller as soon as I get off the computer, and I just left Easy Way with bags of fruits and veggies. Yes, it may only be day 2, but that’s better than nothing, right!
So, what about you? What are your goals for 2012? Oh, i forgot one more thing. I really, really, really want to PR a Half Marathon this year. I’m going to work really hard to make this happen. We’ll see…