Ok, this is just a quick recipe post for anyone interested in the Tofu Stir-Fry. If you haven’t tried tofu, quit turning your nose up and give it a shot! I’m not going to lie to you and tell you it tastes like chicken. It tastes like tofu! The key to tofu is how you cook it and i promise you’ll like this recipe…and it’s super easy. i do it differently every time i make it so i’ll give you some alternatives too.
Tofu- i realllly prefer the CUBED tofu. you can find it at Schnucks in the produce section with the other tofu but look for the pre-cubed. if it’s not cubed, you’ll want to cube it yourself.
Peanuts (i use unsalted)
Ground Ginger (you are welcome to use fresh but i love the ground and it’s easier)
Crushed Red Pepper
Stir-Fry Veggies (i usually buy a frozen bag of “stir fry veggies”)
Stir-Fry Sauce (i buy the “classic stir fry sauce” on the asian aisle but i’ve also made my own or just used soy sauce)
Bell Peppers (use fresh or the pre-cut frozen- i love bell pepper so this is just an option)
Broccoli (you don’t have to do this but i find the frozen stir fry veggie bag just doesn’t have enough broccoli for my liking)
here’s the MOST IMPORTANT part: prepping the tofu:
take your tofu out of the package and drain it. if it’s not cubed, cube it. you can see from the picture above how small to make it. now that that’s done, you have to PRESS your tofu. this is the key!
lay out several layers of paper towels, put your tofu on the towels, lay more paper towels on top, and PRESS. i use my cast iron skillet to do this. you can just leave something heavy on top of all of this and it is pressing out the water. do not skip this part! you can either leave it for 30 minutes or so OR just use your muscles and press until the paper towels are soaked and do it again.
pour your tofu in a bowl and coat with corn starch- i have no idea how much i use- maybe a TBSP? you just want it to kind of dry out your tofu but not leave excess cornstarch.
your tofu is now prepped and we can start cooking:
1) to the tofu, add: about 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, about 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (depending on how spicy you like things, and enough ground ginger to color the tofu (i love ginger so i use a lot)
1) put about 1TBSP of canola oil in your skillet and get it searing hot. once it’s hot (really hot), add your tofu mix, let it “sear”- it will turn a golden color and crisp up. this only takes a few minutes. once it’s golden, pour in back into your bowl to wait (above picture)
1) add all your veggies to the skillet to cook (if any of them are frozen, you shouldn’t have to add anymore oil); cook veggies for a few minutes until they’re crisp but not frozen.
1) add your stir fry sauce- i use about 1/4 cup; let it cook with your veggies for about 2 – 3 minutes
1) turn heat off, add tofu, and serve over brown rice
super easy and really healthy.